Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Take One Tunic

My second tunic/sweatshirt and lots more stuff.
I'm off to Rome, or more precisely, Albano Laziale, the small town just outside of Rome where the Vatican Observatory is situated, just behind the gates to the papal gardens.  As I packed, my mind kept drifting back to the Gospel from two Sundays back
He instructed them to take nothing for the journey
but a walking stick—
no food, no sack, no money in their belts.
They were, however, to wear sandals
but not a second tunic.  (Mark 6:8-9)
Yes.  Well.  I have packed a snack, have a checked bag and a carry on, stashed my miscellaneous euros in my wallet.  I definitely packed a second tunic (and a third and a fourth...).  I'm not wearing sandals, though I did pack a pair.  It sounds like an all around fail, new evangelization or old, even before you consider my electronics.

It got me thinking about what the modern version of sandals and a walking stick might be?  Or that second tunic that Matthew suggests might be allowed.  Walking shoes?  A phone? What reminds me of my origin and my destination, of the source of what I have?

If I could take just one thing, and trust that the rest would be provided, what would it be?  My laptop. A virtual tunnel to almost anywhere, to information, to communications, to clothes and food. A battery for electronics.  Though  the more I think about it,  perhaps my laptop is not a sign of radical dependence, but of stubborn independence.

4 comments:

  1. Great questions! What would be for me sandals and a walking stick, and the second tunic? Somewhere, I think email would figure in. I upgraded my phone this week and was without email for three days. My distress revealed a side of me that I was surprised (and not proud) to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I look at what I brought and think that I should have left home (an extra skirt...a couple of extra T's), I'm still not sure what my answer to the question is! It's been a while since I took an email hiatus, and wonder if that might be a good thing to schedule in!

      Delete
  2. "Radical dependence"
    "Stubborn independence"
    I think they are married to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In quantum mechanics we call things that are in tension like this: "conjugate pairs" - married indeed!

      Delete