Monday, March 31, 2008

Bravely Repaired

My breviary is only half as old as I am, but like me, is beginning to exhibit some age related pathology. On Easter, the back of the Easter/Lent volume fell off, and the front cover was clearly loose. I couldn't bear to replace it (budget aside), for reasons I can't quite express. Do I lack detachment? It and I have been through a lot together, but I would not lose the experiences with the book. Who knows! I decided to give repairing it a whirl, and thanks to a class a few years back in book binding and manuscript illumination, have the skills.

Barnacle Boy watched me start the project, and was fascinated with seeing the "insides" of a book. Tonight he was rummaging in my purse and took it out. "Hey, your bravery [sic] is fixed!" With great pride in my work I inquired of my beloved sons, "Can you believe that the back was completely off?" In chorus, "Yes!"

It's functional again, and I'm pleased!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is a kind act to save a book, but keeping bored sons off of roof tops is just plain mean :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very loved book!

    ReplyDelete