Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Podcast: Packing for Epiphany



Two years ago the Feast of the Epiphany found me, unlike the Magi at the end of their quest, just beginning a journey. I left behind family and work to spend five weeks in a retreat house on the coast of Massachusetts, making the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. I would spend thirty days in silence and prayer.

Packing turned out to be a spiritual exercise in itself. What would I need for 30 days in silence in the middle of winter on the Atlantic coast, living in a room just big enough for a single bed and with only a single drawer for storage? St. Gregory the Great and the Magi inspired me to leave more empty spaces in my suitcase - to pack instead the myrrh of self-denial.

2 comments:

  1. Are you not going on retreat this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go in the summer - much as I would have liked to go back to Eastern Point in the winter, the schedule didn't quite work out! Maybe next year when I'm on sabbatical???

    ReplyDelete