Monday, February 07, 2011

The hills are alive

The hills are alive

The hills of San Francisco are alive, not with music, but with wireless signals. I'm on the 12th floor of a hotel in San Francisco - with the windows open to the cool night air. The fog isn't the only thing whose tendrils are drifting in through my window. The air is bouncing with signals - I get 18 wireless signals, so many I'm not even sure which belongs to the hotel! Hence, I am (or at least my laptop is) actually wired to the wall.

I feel a bit like I'm in Shangri-La this morning. The view out the plane window was one of unrelieved white as I flew across the country yesterday. Nary a rock was visible in the Rockies! When we reached the California-Nevada border, I looked out the window to see emerald green rolling hills beneath. It was 78F when I landed in Oakland. It's sunny, warm and almost 80 in San Francisco this morning. Daffodils are in bloom, so are the almond trees. It feels like late spring.

So I bought violet shoes.

3 comments:

  1. Almost feels like spring here this morning too! If I had purple shoes, I'd be putting them on.
    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple shoes, and a wild black t-shirt are what I get for going shopping with my twenty-something niece in San Francisco!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to at least have a wall blocking the feel of the wind if not the sound. enjoy your travels

    ReplyDelete