Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Conditor Alme Siderum



I love the clarity of the winter sky. Walking home from church on Sunday evening, the cloudless sky was a feast of colors, Venus was glittering above the tree line and the sharp, cold air swept out the last of the semester's cobwebs.

We chanted this piece (in English) on Saturday evening at the vigil Mass. Our Advent music has featured a lot of chant: I chanted the penitential rite, the presider chanted the preface, we chanted the Our Father. Like the cold air, chant seems to bring a clarity to our prayer. The thread held by the reciting tone keeps us focused, and the fluidity keeps us firmly moving forward, refusing to let us be ensnared in the language we've not all mastered.

3 comments:

  1. This is a hymn in our hymnal. Need to find it. Know I have sung this on many occasions. Beautiful - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh.... we sing this in English, at evening prayer for Advent. I am mailing a worship aid and one of our bulletins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm imagining your voice, Cathy!

    Fran, I look forward to mail!

    ReplyDelete