Tuesday, January 03, 2012

God always and in everything


“Not the goods of the world, but God.
Not riches, but God. Not honors, but God.
Not distinction, but God. Not dignities, but God.
Not advancement, but God. God always and in everything.”

— St. Vincent Pallotti

Three years ago today I drove up to Eastern Point to begin the Spiritual Exercises. As I walked this afternoon in the chilling wind, wrapped up in the same wool shawl (bought in the Middle East ina place where it never snows!) and ancient, disreputable red down jacket that kept me warm during my walks on the Long Retreat, my mind drifted back the vigils I kept in the deep chill of the night.

Tonight I might once again get up in the middle of the night to stand vigil. The Boy is determined to get up and see if the Quadrantid meteor show is as good as they say it will be. I told him to wake me if there were meteors to be seen. One night, while sitting in the chapel around 3 am, through the bay window behind the tabernacle, I saw one single meteor streak across the sky. I wonder if I'll see another tonight?

2 comments:

  1. Prayers for you on this journey...

    ReplyDelete
  2. three years, really? it seems like less time

    ReplyDelete