Monday, December 03, 2012

Ex communio

Depending on how the morning (and the morning traffic) goes, I sometimes end up at the church too late for daily Mass (but at least early for Morning Prayer).  I typically take a spot in a pew in the back of the dim church and take some time to meditate and pray.

Daily Mass at my parish is celebrated in a small octagonal chapel set behind and slightly to the side of the main sanctuary.  The tabernacle is visible from both the chapel and the main sanctuary, a glass panel separates the two spaces; double doors left open let sound move freely.  As a result, I can see and hear much of what is going on in the chapel, albeit at a bit of a remove.

I am finding these liminal moments a potent contemplation of what it might mean to be ex communio, outside the walls.  Of what it might feel like to to watch and to wait.  To see the light well up from within the darkness.


9 comments:

  1. When my sister was dying she told us her prayer was to "be still and wait." We all are there, in the darkness, awaiting the new birth of Light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Christin, what a prayer in that time. Thank you for sharing with us, as we all wait in the dim and dark. And my prayers for your family and your sister....

      Delete
  2. You're the second person I've seen use liminal today. Just thought you should know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Mike! I used venerable twice the other in a very short chemistry piece -- oh dear!

      Delete
  3. The thin place, separated by a diaphanous veil, so close, yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the image of that veil that hovers, and shivers in the breezes....thanks, Fran!

      Delete
  4. When I read this post I was reminded of waiting for the Easter Vigil a few years ago when I was a candidate in RCIA. I was on the outside and yet I knew that the great day was coming when I could receive Christ. For some reason I feel that same intense anticipation this Advent. Waiting is difficult but it is an important part of our journey to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting is more than passive, I think!

      Delete
  5. I felt a true need to have such a place to sit in the morning. You sparked a desire. I need to sit and be still more often than I do now

    ReplyDelete