Saturday, January 19, 2013

Re-boot

Always, we begin again.  Conversion, in the Rule of St. Benedict, carries the sense of circular motion.  Conversio, a coming back again to the work at hand, to the life of the monastic community.  I may return to the new day with my relationship with God yet deeper, I may return to try again where I have missed the mark.  Each day, I begin again.

It's rather like my computer, when all else fails, I re-boot it, stopping what is in motion, clearing out the memory cache.  Begin again.

To begin again implies stopping, perhaps even resting.  I started physical therapy for my ankle this week (which has also has me thinking about the inflicting of sensible pain, but that is an entirely different post!).  As ligaments and bones begin to knit and range of motion has increased -- and as swelling has gone down, yesterday I did what I haven't done in a month.  Put on a left shoe. And walk without the orthopedic boot.  2500 steps.

At the end of the day my physical therapist looked at my swollen and once again black and blue ankle and re-booted me.  Stop,  rest.  Wear the boot.  And today, I begin again.


6 comments:

  1. I like that thought of tying re-booting a computer with us beginning again and taking time to rest as the computer must be off for a brief period of time when it is re-booted. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we sometimes want to just try, try again without realizing that perhaps we need a rest, or a time to re-evaluate, or just a moment to clear things off, in order to start again well -- rather than just repeating the previous attempt.

      Delete
    2. Very true, Michelle...

      Delete
  2. The idea of a spiritual reboot is a beautiful thing. I'm glad that you did not reboot your foot though; you reshoe-d it. That is even more beautiful!Glad to hear of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an on again/off again process. The boot for trips to the grocery store and church and teaching. Shoes around the house -- and stop before the pain gets distracting!

      Delete
    2. And progress is a real grace here!!

      Delete