Thursday, June 25, 2020

Ordinary jewels

Larve acquatiche di tricotteri con guscio
I recently ran across the work of Hubert Duprat, a French sculptor who collaborates with caddisfly larvae (yes, you read that correctly, caddsifly larvae) to create jeweled carapaces. I'm inspired by the caddisflies, who build their houses out of whatever is to hand, whether it's gold and pearls, or sticks and bits from the shells of dead snails. 

I'm working on a couple of pieces on prayer, one very short, one long. The writing has me thinking about how I sometimes complicate prayer, wanting to dress it up and take it out to some beautiful chapel, and waltz with it in down the cool and dark nave. But perhaps I need to take a few lessons from the caddisfly larvae and be willing to gather into my prayer whatever is at hand, precious or not. The weeds growing through the stones on the back patio, the scream of the lawn mower next door, my own inattention. And just perhaps, in that gathering I might realize just how precious those bits are.



More pictures here

3 comments:

  1. I sure am enjoying your sabbatical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ollllddude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like the conversation I had with my spiritual director today about simplifying prayer until we really don’t need words but can sit in silence. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete