Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cars in weal and woe

It's been a tough six months for my Mini Cooper.  A van hit it on Lancaster Ave in October, doing minimal damage to everything but my psyche; in December an SUV ran a stop sign in Philadelphia and then into my Mini; and in March the Boy had a fender bump with another car on an icy road (which led indirectly to my crashing Math Man's car in a second accident -- by now you surely don't want to get in a car with me).  After the last we had all the bumps and bruises repaired, only to have someone back into it, breaking my rear light and denting the bumper.  Really?  You couldn't have left a note?

It's all fixed, but now the air conditioner has died and the repair beyond the budget.  I know, I should be able to live without an air conditioner in the car, but...

So, I'm ready to bequeath this Cooper to the boys and get a new one for me.  I'm looking at low mileage used ones and new ones (they are all about the same price), all manual transmission (which some places do not even carry!).  When I told Crash I was looking at a chili pepper red one, he said, "That's not you."  White?  "Sure, let's go with that."  Math Man, bless his heart, said, "Of course, red!"

Do you think I can sustain a red car?  I will point out that I already have a red piece of transportation -- the Fiat Lux!  (That's The Boy at the helm...)

9 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, you are talking about what we call bad car karma around here; and we've had some, although we can't match your your situation.

    Fiat lux! I love that! And red may be where its at, very Pentecost! Filled with the Spirit, and wherever She is, well, you can see where I'm headed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of Pentecost red!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Fiat Lux is a quantum mechanics joke...it's a Laser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cars and I absolutely would love a Mini; however, I have a sensible Corolla, albeit with a sports package but it is still a Corolla. Good luck car shopping - what fun! You deserve it after all that you have been through with cars recently. And you definitely need air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mission accomplished...one chili pepper red Mini Cooper: with air conditioning!!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5:40 PM

    Yes! Red! I like Fran's Pentecost imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Boy suggested red with flames down the sides...I've stuck with "just" red!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Michelle. I love just the unadorned red. Subtlety is always the better course, I say. :-)

      Delete