Thursday, September 05, 2013

Blow the trumpet in Zion, proclaim a fast, call an assembly...

Pope Francis has called the Church to fast and to pray for peace in Syria, and in all the world.  The Philadelphia archdiocese will gather at the cathedral for prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.

I feel strongly about heeding this call to gather ourselves spiritually, to put our bodies on the line in a very different way.  From my column this week at CatholicPhilly:

"This is not the ritual fast before we receive the Eucharist, to sharpen our hunger, to hone our senses to experience more deeply the reception of Christ’s Body and Blood. This is not the traditional fast of Lent, to do penance for our sins, to toughen our feet for the journey. This fast is a call to throw ourselves on the mercy of God, keening for the brokenness of the Body of Christ that has brought us — again — to the brink of war.

...In his encyclical Pacem in Terris, Pope John XXIII made it clear that we are each responsible for doing what we can to forge anew the relationships between countries and peoples in the light of justice and love. Fasting, even for a day, binds me more deeply to those whose lives are in tumult as a result of war and injustice. It’s an ever-present reminder that we all bear the responsibility for peace."

Read the whole thing at CatholicPhilly.

Will you join the fast?  the prayers?




4 comments:

  1. I believe strongly in the power of prayer: "If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, pray, seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14 We have a responsibility to the world to fast and pray for the sake of the world.

    Our Archdiocese is having a Prayer Vigil as is Regis College but I have chosen to be involved with the Prayer Vigil at my own parish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One people, united in purpose, no matter we we are!

      Delete
  2. Praying for sure...fasting is pretty tricky for me for a variety of reasons...but I have a heavy writing day on an anxiety producing task so maybe I can embrace that consciously. Feels so good to be united with so many sisters and brothers worldwide beseeching mercy and justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We read some wonderful reflection about fasting in my parish prayer group last year, many of which talked about ways to enter into that mindset when one cannot fast from food. I hope the writing day went well....

      Delete