Sunday, September 11, 2011

Zen and the art of mother maintenance


I'll admit straight off that I've never read Robert Pirsig's book Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Excavating my desk this afternoon, I found a note to myself which says only, "Zen and the art of mother maintenance." Would that I could remember exactly what I meant by that!
Could it have something to do with the conversation I had two weeks ago with Patient Spiritual Director in which I said I wanted to find a Carthusian abbey? Where my cell is sacrosanct?

Breathing space has been in short supply (as the lack of blog posting suggests!) and my guys have been doing their best on the home front to help me maintain some equanimity. Math Man had a class tonight and as the boys and I cleaned up after dinner, we talked about who had what for homework. I told them I had a column to write and they promised me at least one uninterrupted hour (and gave me two!). At this point in my life, a more cherished gift than roses or chocolates for the maintenance of their wishfully contemplative mother. It's an art!


Photo of 1954 Triumph. Used under Creative Commons license.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:10 PM

    Props to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the book you have not read was instrumental in meeting Margaret. Read it again a few years back and wondered why I liked it so much the first time.

    ReplyDelete