Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Meted out

From Wikimedia. 
We enjoy family board games, where each of has strengths. Math Man never loses at Azul, and when it comes to Bananagrams I rule (though I'm not quite as dominant as Math Man at Azul). Math Man, our youngest and I played last month on a short holiday "down the shore" (as they say in Philly). 

As we walked through my layout on one game, my youngest questioned "mete." Which I cheerfully defined, noting a typical usage is "meted out."  I admitted I didn't think of it as particularly odd word, but a quick web search not only confirmed it was indeed a word, but that its "use has been falling since 1890..." I fear this describes too much of my vocabulary. There was lour.  And allochthonous.

Only the former is likely to be played in Bananagrams.

2 comments:

  1. Real estate attorneys use mete all the time. Legal descriptions in deeds are referred to as 'metes and bounds'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fascinating! Words sometimes have fascinating histories.

      Delete