Thursday, July 10, 2008

Blessings and Curses

Crash and Barnacle Boy are going to sailing camp. They've been keeping vampire hours of late - up past midnight, sleep until noon, at least. (Crash says he likes to sleep when it's coolest - nothing to do with being a teen. Right.) We had to be out of the house by 8:30 am the first day and they were remarkably cheerful about it -- or maybe they were still asleep.

On the drive up, I coughed and the Boy wondered aloud what you said when someone coughed, "Is there an equivalent to 'bless you'?" "Not in this culture, I think, but it's a nice idea. " Forty-five minutes later, as we're pulling into the state park where the camp is being held, I cough again (@#$% allergies!). Barnacle Boy offers me a blessing, but Crash, "Curse you, Mother!" Crash?!? "Well, what if you get me sick?"

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 PM

    IM OFFENDED BY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Bless you is appropriate for coughing!

    Missed you as I jaunted through the train station!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a scientist, you should know that for teens, it is a "Me-centric" universe. I was a junior in high school during the Cuban missle crisis. Don't remember much about it first hand--it occurred during Homecoming Week. I mean, how could the world end when we had the Homecoming play, finishing the class float, the parade and pep rally, the football game, and the dance to worry about? 8>)

    Sometimes being oblivious is a blessing.

    Way to go, Crash!

    ReplyDelete