Thursday, January 05, 2006

Re-mother, Pre-mother

My Greek chorus is in full swing again. A friend's daughter saw the rules listed on our fridge (If you open it, close it. If you use it up, throw it away. Put it in the hamper. Flush. No Greek choruses.) "What's a Greek chorus?" she wondered. I told her she knew what it was and demonstrated with her sister. They both looked at me and said, "You mean 're-mothering'!" My guys took to the term with a vengance. Now they've added "pre-mothering" to the list. To pre-mother requires a fine sense of timing, as in popping out with "Be sure to put on your socks, Barnacle Boy!" just as I take breath to remind youngest son to do so.

2 comments:

  1. I had missed your earlier greek chorus post. Thanks for giving me a name for that! But now the question is: will having a name for it help me combat it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, no! The ability to recognize it seems to, if anything, exacerbate it at times....

    ReplyDelete