Sunday, September 28, 2008

Without a sound

No utterance at all, no speech,
no sound that anyone can hear;
yet their voice goes out through all the earth, and their message to the ends of the world.

Ps. 19

My voice is not dependable right now. A sentence here and there, gently voiced, is fine, but a long way from the voice that reached every corner when I cantored at Wernersville last weekend.

It's instructive to be silent in the midst of all the noise at my house. More or less back on duty as "mom", people call for me, but to answer them, I need to be right in front of their faces. The requests tend to become increasingly strident as I make my way to a speakable distance, I find myself increasingly impatient with their impatience. How often do we think we're being ignored, when really, it's just silent transit time - waiting for someone to get into the right space, physically or metaphorically?

On the other hand, you can learn fascinating things when the teens in the room forget you are there...I'm now au courant on who is "going with" who in the neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment