Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Control issues


I drink tea, not coffee. Despite having grown up with a mother who did not start her day without a cup of coffee, I never have drunk coffee. This morning as I made a cup in the small kitchen down the hall, and chatted with a colleague who was making the coffee, he joked that he doesn't mind making a new pot of coffee, because then he can make it the way he likes it.

Tea. One cup at a time. Just the way I like it.

I thought it was the taste, or maybe the slow ritual of its brewing. Now I think it's all about control.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 PM

    I have thought about how tea "slows me down" and coffee "speeds me up". Sipping tea slowly does seem like an exercised act of control.

    4 cups today. Coffee, not tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig tea, my problem with tea is that restaurants don't dig good tea. Can you take control of this situation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I drink both -- coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon/evening. Your point about being able to 'control' your tea makes so much sense to me! (I hate a cup that is over- or under-brewed.)

    ReplyDelete