Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving: There will be bread

There will be bread is the name of my friend Fran's blog — where I am often fed in soul, if not in body.  It is also a pretty good description of a Miller-Francl-Donnay holiday.  I baked three types of bread yesterday.  Jesuit Brother's Bread (aptly enough, this was intended to surrender its all to the hungry hordes while the rest of the prep work went on), Red/White and Blueberry Bread (a rich, sweet loaf with dried fruits and honey to toast for breakfast) and my father's Malverne Rolls.

But the real bread broken and shared here is that of family.  What rises and burbles and surprises, what gathers and scatters, what is pulled and stretched into one body, only to be broken once again feeds us all.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:08 PM

    To you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have a recipe or link to a recipe for the red, white and blueberry bread? it sounds like something good for my boys for breakfast! please and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post? I am honored to show up in the first sentence!

    I would love to bake bread and I think about how you do so - those thoughts are very nourishing for me, I can assure you. And those breads sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bread is a fine thing to venture into

    ReplyDelete