Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Congratulations! You've been selected...

Today's calls:

"Out of area"  They called five times yesterday.  Today I picked up, and asked them not to call any longer.  "Do you want to make a one time donation before we take you off the list?" Editor's note, caller has not identified the organization they are calling on behalf of.

"Congratulations, you have been selected to receive a free cruise to the Bahamas.  That's right, you heard correctly..."  Click.  I hang up.  It's a recording.  I have no qualms at all.

I remember the days when door to door soliciting was more frequent.  The Fuller brush man, the Avon Lady, the egg man.  I understood, too, why people posted signs that said, "No soliciting" on their doors.  And, of course, each of these phone calls is an interruption.  They are not cost free as far as my work day goes.

Why, oh, why, is there no way to put "no soliciting" on our phone?  We are on the no call list.  We have an unlisted number.  I never give out the landline number to businesses.  (Hurrah for Google Voice!)

I have a hard time being rude to the person calling, these are people working from scripts, with high supervision.  It's a job, and a stressful one at that, which feeds them and houses them.  But I wonder about a calling algorithm that calls a number four times a day (am, afternoon, dinner, after dinner) for days on end.  At what point does it move from "solicitation" to "harassment"?

The obvious solution is to take the phone out of my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment