Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Armed with the weapons of self-restraint

Grant, O Lord, that we may begin with holy fasting
this campaign of Christian service,
so that, as we take up battle against spiritual evils,
we may be armed with weapons of self-restraint.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen
— Opening prayer for Ash Wednesday

"...armed with the weapons of self-restraint." I kept hearing that snippet from today's Collect throughout the day today, but I was practically chanting it at the grocery store at 6. It was packed as if there was an Eagles' play-off game or an incoming Nor'easter. And then there was the lady at the fish counter. Who ordered one thing. Then changed her mind. Then changed her mind again. Then wanted it steamed. Arm yourself with self-restraint, I reminded myself, before I got a bit steamed myself.

I'm hoping to be armed with self-restraint, as I've given up chocolate for Lent. Cliché, I know. But for me it's a bit like a hair shirt, a small ever-present irritant. I'm reminded when I pack my lunch, sans chocolate treat. When I eat lunch and there's no little treat tucked in. And when I see the basket of chocolate in my office, the bag of chocolate tucked in the cabinet at home. And after dinner, and, and, and...

It's like doing physical therapy, all these repetitions should strengthen my spiritual muscles.

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring and humorous at the same time!

    ReplyDelete