Monday, August 31, 2020

Not the Disney Scene You are Imagining


A few weeks ago I was back in my office briefly to pick up some books. It was the first time I'd been to my office since the pandemic pivot of the spring. But my office hadn't been unoccupied while I was at home. The mice had been there. Not a mouse. Mice. And unlike Snow White's helpful woodland creatures they weren't dashing around cleaning my office. They nested in papers and partied on my desk. There was glitter everywhere. Well, not actual glitter, but the remains of the wrappers of a handful of forgotten chocolate kisses, clearly the draw for the big event. They left the champagne alone. 

In the end there were a lot of papers that it was now very easy to decide to if they could be tossed (perhaps the creatures were helpful in cleaning my office after all? #darkDisney). I've taken a hundred or so books off the shelves to clear behind them. Thankfully the mice seem to have generally eschewed the books for the stacks of papers.  The office has been vacuumed and surfaces cleared and cleaned. Traps have been set, though the miscreants seemed to have moved on. Now I just need to put the books back to check off one unofficial sabbatical project: clean my office. 

OK TBH, I also need to clean out a cabinet. But then, I really can check the project off the list! Also, mad props to whoever left a photo of a mouse holding a chocolate kiss on my door. A spot of humor in an otherwise awful situation.


3 comments:

  1. I never noticed the 'vibrato while humming' thing before. Did not know that was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting my day with smiles and happy memories . . . and a humorous telling of your own story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall vote, too.

    ReplyDelete