Sunday, June 26, 2022

Vital signs

 

I went to my first in-person conference since the pandemic began last week. It was small, we shared many meals together. It also appears that we might have shared COVID with each other. Two days after the conference concluded I got an email saying I’d been a close contact of someone who had tested positive for COVID. I had mild symptoms, so tested. Negative, whew. Just my usual talked too much in loud spaces croakiness.

A day later, feeling like an old late night commercial for Ginzu knives — “now, with more symptoms!” — I tested again.  Two bright pink lines appeared on my home test. Positively positive.

I felt pretty lousy for the rest of the week, with all the misery a high fever brings. I was grateful for the vaccines, which likely kept me from being much sicker. And for space to isolate at home. 

The NHS has a helpful diary for tracking the course of a COVID infection. Space is allotted to record your temperature and pulse oximeter reading three times a day. It was helpful to see when I’d been “fever-free” for more than 24 hours. Crash is always about creating the right paperwork for a project. As useful as the log was, it needed some tweaks.  I needed a column for tissues used (so many tissues, the first few days reminded me of when the kids had RSV) and for my Wordle score.

Fever is gone, pulse ox is (and always was) fine, tissue use down to zero, Wordle scores improved. I declare I am on the mend. And keeping to the theme of the NHS, I’m taking the sea air to convalesce. (This was a planned trip, and since I’m past the 5 days and symptom free, other than tired, we have gone. Regardless, I drove a separate car down, and I’m wearing a mask around Math Man and not contacting others.)

2 comments:

  1. olllddude10:51 AM

    Glad you're healing. If various newspaper articles I have read are correct, an actual case of Covid+vaccinations+boosters is as strong a protection as you can have. Just turned 71 and I am determined to outlive my father, so hopefully my vaccine and double boosters will help me survive should I get infected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that you contracted COVID. Glad you are on the mend, and that you retain your equanimity and good humor. Glad the Wordle scores are improving!

    ReplyDelete