Sunday, May 13, 2007

One of these is not like the others...

Which one of these is not like the others? The kid in khaki pants, of course. That would be my son, Barnacle Boy. One hundred kids in dark pants and white shirts, and then there's mine. It's high season for concerts: men and boys choir, elementary music, band, middle school chorus - and I'm having a hard time keeping track of who needs to wear what when. White shirt? Button-down shirt? Tie? No tie! Any dress pants OK? Dark pants?! There are no clean dark pants? And we need to leave when? Five minutes?! Oh dear. I feel like a Roz Chast cartoon: Bad Mothering Cards, collect the whole set.

I have to admit that when another kid walked on stage wearing not only khaki pants, but a pale pink shirt, I felt a moment of connection with his mother. Was she equally beleaguered?

No comments:

Post a Comment