Friday, January 03, 2020

Via media in the Catholic media

Massimo Faggioli, a professor of theology and religious studies at Villanova University just down the road, has a new article up at Commonweal. In "Dangerous Disconnects" he expresses concern about the ways that the formation of Catholic priests is disconnected from the broader intellectual world, as well as from the day to day lives of the laity. Likewise, he notes that academic theology is also
"..if seminary formation is too cut off from the real lives of Catholics, then I think (and I realize that I am generalizing here) the same can sometimes be said for academic theology. Yes, there are numerous examples of theologians who clearly have an ecclesial intentionality and do wonderful work for the people of God. It is not an issue of personal intentions, however, but of the systemic position of academic theology in an endangered Catholic intellectual ecosystem, one in which the magisterium and theologians in the academy also have to compete with the “teaching” found on Catholic blogs and websites and various other outlets."
I don't disagree with Faggioli's basic premise that seminary education and theology departments are too often disconnected from each other and from the lives of the faithful, but I take some issue with all Catholic blogs being rolled into one bundle and with their content described as "teaching" — which I'm certain is not meant as either a compliment nor as an assurance of orthodoxy. I write a (small) Catholic blog, I'm theologically trained at a Roman Catholic seminary and consider myself part of the Catholic intellectual ecosystem. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the work Faggioli is suggesting should be done.

Yes, I know, I have a limited audience compared to many blogs, but I'm not a single voice crying out in the wilderness and I write in other outlets as well. I've written books, contributed to larger blogs and written hundreds of columns for my archdiocesan paper. Currently active Catholic bloggers and writers with strong theological training are out there, including Mags Blackie, Fran Szpylczyn at There Will Be Bread, Mary Poust at Not Strictly Spiritual, Catholic Mom (which I found through Franciscan Mom), and Fr.Austin Fleming at A Concord Pastor Comments. Many more voices are active on Twitter and other social media platforms. The Catholic intellectual sphere is less of a monolith than Faggioli suggests and I wish Fagglioli's article had explored the Catholic intellectual and social media ecosystem a bit more deeply.

Still, I fear we are conceding the field to loud voices who indeed field dubious teaching and preach divisiveness rather than unity. Many of these sites are like train wrecks, it's hard to look away. I understand, I'm guilty of giving them clicks and browsing their Twitter feeds and wondering if we are in the same church (should priests be hawking ammunition on their web sites? Discuss!). Can Catholic Twitter stretch to be as catholic as the Church?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I will say that after reading the article I suspect that Faggioli isn't that concerned about your blog. After all, you describe yourself as "I am a mother of two, spouse of one, professor of chemistry, sometime scholar at the Vatican Observatory and faithful Roman Catholic." In other words, you are a faithful lay person. May we be blessed with more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I don't think he'd be worried about what happens here, but I still do wish he'd not rolled us all into one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, keep speaking, writing books, and posting on this blog. You are an inspiration to me personally and to the people of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Osprey, Florida. Your reflections often appear in our Sunday bulletin, as do those of Fran and Mary. We credit all of you, of course, but apologize for not asking permission ahead of time. We regularly buy the seasonal reflection books from Liturgical Press for our adult faith education classes. Most of all, you are an inspiration to occasional bloggers like me, who also have training in academic and pastoral theology. I would like to be more regular in posting to my blog, but alas, good intentions . . . Doris at www.reflectionsfrommylanai.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete