Tuesday, June 12, 2007

8 Things or What Sherlock Holmes could not have known

Both Cathy and MaryBeth have tagged me with two version of a meme...7/8 random facts. So here are the rules for the 8 Things version.

Rules:

1. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
3.At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

My mother gave me the complete Sherlock Holmes to read one summer when I was recovering from a serious inner ear infection. I had lost all sense of balance, I couldn't even walk across the room without help. So while everyone tumbled outside to play in the summer heat, I lounged on a sofa and read. The biography of Marie Curie, The Good Earth, and...all of Conan Doyle's tales of Holmes and Watson. My favorite scenes had Holmes astonishing Watson with what he could deduce from examining a person's hat or hands. Here are 8 Things that I think Holmes could not have read from my hands:

1. I lived for a summer on a small farm outside Oaxaca, Mexico.
2. I can order breakfast in Swahili.
3. I used to race sailboats.
4. I use my first husband's last name, rather than my maiden name.
5. I can knit, but not crotchet.
6. I've prayed the Office daily for 25 years.
7. I can't golf. I've tried.
8. I hate wet socks.

If you aren't utterly fascinated by these 8 Things about me, you can try this randomly generated list.

Tagged: Kathryn, Scrivenings, Rev. Sharon, Meg, Mother Laura

3 comments:

  1. I can knit, but really cannot crochet either (and don't intend to learn).

    I am awed that you have prayed the Daily Office for 25 years. .. awed...
    so I do wonder, do you do a shortened version or the whole 9 yards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed on your blog you have walked 209 miles - is this for the year???

    Will you walk with us through the Church year?
    http://40days40miles.blogspot.com/

    I also keep up with my walking on
    http://www.horsetooth.net/walk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite the whole 9 yards, I only regularly use the "hinges" of morning lauds and evening vespers along with Compline. In the summer and on weekends I tend to pray the Office of Readings (Matins), but not during the week.

    The 200+ miles is since last fall...and I would love to walk with you all through the Church year!

    ReplyDelete